Friday, June 13, 2014

RIP: Steve

I've been working on a portrait essay for a few years now on veterans. All services, all ranks, all wars. 

I guess it's been four years now but my friend Jen had me over at her flat to do portraits of her and some of her friends. This is when I met Steve. 

Steve Robinson was a retired Ranger. Was with 10th Special Forces. Very low key. Very humble. Supremely confident. 

I made two portraits of Steve that day. A simple shot of him wearing a baseball cap. Another of him where he wanted to send a message. 




They've always been two of my favorites but now there's a vibe about them. I found out last night, shortly before passing out from exhaustion, Steve passed last week. The veteran's community has lost a great voice. None of the things Steve did for other vets was about Steve. It was always about helping other vets come home, or at least get as close as they could to it. He lived and breathed that cause. 

We talked a few times a year. Sometimes in person but mostly short phone calls or emails. He helped me more than I could admit. He talked me back from the figurative ledge a couple of times and was extremely supportive of my trips to Afghanistan. 

Now that he's passed the vibe of quiet motivation and support has turned to mourning. I'll miss Steve.

#RIP #deOppressoLiber #Veteran

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful, Bill....

Tabby said...

I'm so sorry for your (our) loss. Thank you for sharing your photographs of him.