Sunday, June 15, 2014

Normandy: 70 years on

There's something about Normandy. The scenery. The people. The history. 



What drew me back, almost on a whim, was the history. If you've served you know at least the big details of the events from 1944. Utah, Omaha, Gold, Juno, Sword. Point Du Huc, Pegasus Bridge, St. Mere Eglise, Breacourt Manor, La Fiere Bridge.

     
         


My first time there was 36 years ago. I remember my Dad pointing out Omaha Beach and saying something like "something big happened here." I was four-years old then and didn't quite get the it of it. I'm 40 now and my understanding of the events there is only little better. I'm sure I could go back every year til I'm too old to travel and still not quite fathom it. 


                     
But I went this time to try. I wanted to see it for myself. The scenery and people. The ground where thousands of men fought and died for something much bigger than themselves, on either side of it. 


These photos are the first of many I'll post here and on Flickr. Stay tuned for updates.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your pictures. Seeing it for yourself is very important. My father is a veteran, and when I visited, I found it totally overwhelming. I think it's something that will be a part of me for the rest of my life.