Thursday, June 19, 2014

#Normandy

A German bunker on Utah Beach.

I shot a series of landscapes in Normandy with my iPhone and the Hipstamatic app. It's not photojournalism, at least not in the classic sense of the word. I don't know what to call these photos other landscape tychs. What I wanted to capture was the duality of what I saw 70 years after the invasion: the immense beauty of the region, peppered with physical and emotional reminders of the fighting. Abandoned bunkers. Battlefields that are now farm fields. Beaches with people playing on them rather than dying. 

It's important to remember that and to know what happened here and other places around the world. Without this knowledge we're doomed to repeat those events. I'd like to think these photos, or series of sequential photos, can help us see these places in a new way. Each photo has it's own story that equal a bigger story of the scene.

Stay tuned for updates, more tychs and a few singles.

                       

No comments: