Saturday, January 14, 2012

"Effect" of war

A friend of mine posted this on Facebook and I wanted to share this here.

Lalage Snow has spent quite a bit of time in Afghanistan. In some really, really nutty places. But the work she brought out is great. It really captures the place, that vibe.

The BBC has a series of her portraits up on their site, and I'm quite taken with them. They're of British Army soldiers from the 1st Battalion of the Royal Regiment of Scotland shot before during and after the deployment to Helmand province, Afghanistan. To me, as someone who has been around the rodeo a bit, the effects of that place on these soldiers are quite pronounced. Simple photos of their faces. Not a lot of lighting. Just them in turns staring confidently and nervous, then tired and scared, then finally exhausted and relieved.

The effects of war is on people is something I've pursued the last few years. It started with the white-background portrait series on my Website, and continued in 2010 with my series on Abu Company shot on Kodachrome. I'll continue it for sometime, possibely the rest of my life. The effects of it all are probably more important than the actual event.

Good on ya, Lalage. First beer is on me.

No comments: